Sports Medicine is a branch of medicine that deals with physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports and exercise and is for anyone – whether they just like to jog or maybe attend the gym for fitness purposes to the elite professional athlete.
The right Sports Medicine Specialist Doctor for you will be qualified in the following areas:
- Prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries (acute or chronic) associated with sports.
- Identification and correction of risk factors for sports injuries.
- Provision of advice to anyone wishing to improve different aspects of physical capacity
- Assessment and prescription of guided exercises both for healthy individuals and, also those with specific conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis, heart conditions
- Guidance to anyone wishing to exercise with various medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, congenital or an acquired cardiovascular condition
- Conducting medical-sports examinations
- Identification of potential causes of sudden cardiac death; assessment of the risk of cardiac complications associated with sports (in conjunction with Cardiology)
- Evaluation and guidance for complementary areas (Sports Podiatry, Sports Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Sports Physiotherapy and Performance, Exercise Technicians, amongst other professionals)
- Team doctor in sports clubs and federations